April 1, 2010

RIP Jaime Escalante

I still can't forgive Jaime Escalante for his public support of Prop 227, the bill that tired to eliminate bilingual education and played a huge role in denying immigrant communities in California basic rights and services. But he was an amazing teacher and inspired many students in LA to shatter the limits of academic achievement that were placed on them. His teaching career inspired the film Stand and Deliver, one of my favorite films growing up.

This scene ends with Lou Diamond Phillips' classic line:


True story, in high school I used to watch The Program before my football games and Stand and Deliver before my AP exams. That film had a lot to do with my decision to work hard in the classroom, and rock dickies...

1 comment:

shiruko99 said...

Thank you, I'd never heard of this guy.

On a different note, I can't believe I had forgotten this film. What's calculus indeed!